Battle Creek
Housing Commission

Frequently Asked Questions

Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

I've moved since I applied for Section 8. How do I let your office know?
You can update your address by coming into the office or by sending an e-mail with a copy of your picture ID and updated address to We will NOT take verbal changes over the phone.
When will the Section 8 list reopen?

The Battle Creek Section 8 waiting list is currently CLOSED. (No applications are being accepted at this time). We anticipate it reopening approximately April 2025.

The Albion Section 8 waiting list is currently CLOSED. (No applications are being accepted at this time). We anticipate it reopening approximately August 2024.

Do I have to reside in Battle Creek to apply for Section 8?
I don't have kids. Am I eligible for Section 8?
Yes. You are housed according to your family size when your name reaches the top of the waiting list.
Is there an income limit for Section 8?
Eligibility is determined on your current family size, income and assets once your name reaches the top of the waiting list.
So what happens when my name reaches the "top of the waiting list"?
You will be mailed a letter inviting you to an orientation class that lasts approximately 90 minutes. During this class we go over all the rules, regulations and requirements to activate your Section 8 Voucher. It is extremely important that you keep us updated on your current address since orientation letters go to the address on file.
How will I know my waiting list number?
When you return your completed application for Section 8 you will receive your waiting list number. The waiting list number we are currently serving is available in the Waiting Lists tab.

Public Housing

How long does the Public Housing application process take?
Most applications can be processed in 2 to 8 weeks. Once a family is approved they are put on a waiting list. We make every effort to place approved families into homes as soon as possible. All information must be verified in writing and a slow response delays processing.
I have some bad credit. Do you run a credit report?
Yes, we run a credit report on all adults that apply. We are primarily looking for Landlord - Tenant judgements, unpaid utilities, debts owed to police or municipal agencies, and collections with other Housing Authorities.
You say there are eligibility requirements. What are they?
We determine if you have maintained a good reputation with former landlords, you have met your financial obligations, you qualify based upon income and any criminal activity.
Do you consider police records?
We are required by HUD and the policies of this Commission not to house those families with a criminal history-especially those involved in any drug related crime, violent crime, or criminal sexual conduct.
If I am approved and waiting for a house, do I have to do anything else?
When a home becomes available we must be able to get in touch with you. It is your responsibility to keep us informed of your current mailing address.
My family is homeless, how long would it take to get into one of your homes?
Battle Creek Housing Commission does not provide emergency housing. All families must apply and meet eligibility criteria established by HUD and the Battle Creek Housing Commission. There is no fee for filling out an application or for the processing.